We are delighted to continue our partnership with The Hygiene Bank charity in 2022.
As many of our customers will know, we have been supporting The Hygiene Bank for over three years now. The Hygiene Bank’s mission is one that is close to our ethos and supporting them has been a large part of what we do at Mum & You. Have you ever wondered how The Hygiene Bank distributes donations or where you can find donation drop-off points? Read on for a guide on the charity and how you can best support their mission.
Who are The Hygiene Bank?
The Hygiene Bank is a grassroots, community initiative giving hygiene, personal care & household cleaning products to those of us who need them across the UK.
The Hygiene Bank Values
“We challenge injustice: It’s not right that anyone should experience hygiene poverty. We take action by raising awareness to drive meaningful change.
We foster wellbeing: Everyone deserves to be able to care for themselves and their families. We know access to hygiene products is key to anyone’s health and wellbeing.
We are compassionate: We stand alongside those in crisis. Our purpose is to ensure no one is held back from participating in society because of hygiene poverty.
We are a community: We believe in building stronger, resilient communities by working together to shape a more just society.”
What is hygiene poverty?
“Hygiene poverty is not being able to afford many of the everyday hygiene and personal grooming products most of us take for granted. The reality of low income is that it restricts people’s options, leaving us caught between being able to heat our homes, pay the rent, eat or be clean.
- It is not being able to purchase deodorant because money is needed for the electric card.
- It is not being able to replace a toothbrush when needed or sharing a toothbrush because one each just isn’t an option.
- It is being unable to change your baby’s nappy as often as is needed and scraping out the contents before reapplying it.
- It is washing hair, bodies, faces and clothes in the same cheap washing-up liquid used for the dishes.
- It is not being able to launder clothes, school uniform and muddy sports kit when needed.”
What services does The Hygiene Bank provide?
The Hygiene Bank relies on donations which are then sorted by volunteers and repackaged according to the different needs of our community partners. Volunteers load their cars and take donations to local community partners, which are often local organisations, services, charities and projects working to support children, families and individuals in need. The Hygiene Bank community partners then go on to distribute the donated products to their clients and service users. Read about the process here.
Read real stories here.
How can I support The Hygiene Bank?
There are many ways in which you can support The Hygiene Bank and their mission.
- You are able to directly donate money on their website with a sum of your choice. You can choose a one-off donation or a regular monthly payment.
- Donate money towards care packages. The Hygiene Bank allows donors to buy care packages for individuals at £15, families at £25, and new mum and baby care packages for £30.
- You can donate products at any of their donation points, including in more than 400 Boots stores across the UK. You can also choose to make a donation online with E-vouchers. Read more about their Boots partnership here.
- Donate products at designated drop-off points. Search for the closest drop-off bank near you here.
- Amazon Smile. The Hygiene Bank is part of Amazon Smile’s charity list. This means that your everyday purchases could help The Hygiene Bank support its network of projects nationwide.
- Easy Fundraising. We’re delighted to announce that The Hygiene Bank is part of EasyFundraising’s charity list. This means that your everyday purchases could help The Hygiene Bank support its network of projects nationwide.
- Support as a volunteer here.
Read more about how to find and donate to your local baby banks and charities, including The Hygiene Bank, here.
How does Mum & You support The Hygiene Bank?
Mum & You has been partnered with The Hygiene Bank for quite some time. Our partnership began very early on when The Hygiene Bank was a small charity with only a select few donation points across the UK – including our office! We make regular stock and product donations and our customers play a vital role in allowing us to continue to support The Hygiene Bank.
How can you support the Hygiene Bank through Mum & You?
- Donate via Mum & You checkout. We currently offer customers the option to donate £2 at checkout when completing their order and are delighted to share that we will be increasing this donation feature in the coming weeks to allow customers to make a larger donation should they wish.
- Subscribe to our nappy and wipe delivery service! Every customer subscription = 1 donation to The Hygiene Bank.
Last year we introduced the option for customers to make a £2 donation at checkout that goes directly to The Hygiene Bank, and our customers donated a whopping £2,788 over the course of the year! We are delighted to continue this partnership into 2022, and will be introducing more donation features in the coming weeks to include a £5, £10, and £20 donation as well as the original £2 donation. A huge thank you to our wonderful customers, whose generosity never goes unnoticed.
We’re so excited to continue this partnership and hope that we can continue doing so with help from our wonderful customers. Look out for the donation button at checkout next time you shop with Mum & You, or why not drop off a product or two when you’re next in Boots.
Want to keep up to date with our future blogs like this one? Subscribe to our mailing list for more tips and special offers you surely won’t want to miss!